[IPT] how to do when you have more than one sampling method for the same plant plot

Andrea Hahn ahahn at gbif.org
Tue Jul 21 13:28:40 UTC 2020

Hi Rui,

If using the ExtendedMeasurementsOrFacts, as Andrea recommends, I should include the occurrence ID from table occurrences in the column `occurrenceID`.

Is this correct?

Ø  In this case, I would say yes. In general, that would depend on whether the measurement or fact relates to the event, or to the occurrence. The specification says about occurrenceID: "The identifier of the occurrence the measurement or fact refers to. If not applicable, it should be left empty.". This refers back to the introductory paragraph (see https://tools.gbif.org/dwca-validator/extension.do?id=http://rs.iobis.org/obis/terms/ExtendedMeasurementOrFact), stating that " When used with Event Core it allows to create an additional link between the eMoF and the occurrence extension." In the case of measures of coverage, it would indeed be occurrence related.

However, please be aware that this is a contruct that no longer falls withing the "start schema" setup that an IPT supports (and GBIF indexes from): links can only go one level deep from the center, and links between satelite tables (in this case occurrence and eMoF) are not supported. That said, it is a good format for a dataset to exist in though, regardless of GBIF, at indexing, losing some of that information.

Alternatively, you could consider using the combination of https://dwc.tdwg.org/terms/#dwc:organismQuantity and https://dwc.tdwg.org/terms/#dwc:organismQuantityType on occurrence records directly for the measure that this fits best, and only use the extension for the other one.

There are also the "dynamicProperties" (https://dwc.tdwg.org/terms/#dwc:dynamicProperties), though these are now so generic that I am not sure how useful they would be for your case.