[IPT] verbatimLabel

Hannu Saarenmaa hannu.saarenmaa at helsinki.fi
Thu Oct 6 13:09:04 CEST 2011

By the way, verbatimLabel would be a great addition to Darwin Core.  In
the first phase of the digitisation process we try to capture everything
"as is".  Interpretation should follow from that.

Hannu Saarenmaa

On 2011-10-06 11:26, Kyle Braak (GBIF) wrote:
> Hi Michel,
>
> As long as you make sure your occurrenceID column from your source
> data is mapped to the occurrenceID term on the mapping page, you can
> ignore the warning under "No mapped columns". There was a bug
> <http://code.google.com/p/gbif-providertoolkit/issues/detail?id=678> related
> to this problem that will be fixed in the next release (due within the
> next couple of weeks).
>
> As for the Darwin Core Quick Reference Guide
> <http://www.gbif.org/orc/?doc_id=2803&l=en>, I found it contains a
> description of occurrenceID under section "Class Occurrence". I
> haven't come across verbatimLabel in the DwC terms, so I'm guessing
> this is one of your own column names. If you want to include that
> column, just map it to its corresponding term (if it exists) and be
> sure to re-publish. See the full list of Darwin Core Occurrence terms
> here <http://rs.gbif.org/core/dwc_occurrence.xml>, or the online DwC
> Terms: A quick reference guide <http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/> for help.
>
> With kind regards,
>
> Kyle
>
> On Oct 6, 2011, at 7:49 AM, info at pensoft.net <mailto:info at pensoft.net>
> wrote:
>
>> A question from one of the most enthusiastic users of IPT (files are
>> attached):
>>
>> At last I am writing you to say that I have sent the data for the
>> Brueelia paper in IPT. Herewith I am sending the files generated
>> after my submission, the zip file (dwca) with the xml and txt files,
>> and one rtf with a summary of our project.
>> The only concern about the this is that two of our columns were not
>> recognized during the Darwin Core mapping, look the message:
>> "No mapped columns
>> The following columns of the source are not assigned to the
>> properties of this mapping:
>> occurrenceID, verbatimLabel."
>>
>> I double checked throughout the "Darwin Core Terms: A quick reference
>> guide" and was unable to find these headings over there. Anyways, I
>> think that our data base is small but still pretty complete and
>> useful. If you have some idea for how to inlude these columns, it
>> will be great.
>>
>> The quick class and information provide by Torsten Dikow was
>> fundamental for this stuff be done and published in IPT. He was
>> pretty nice and very patient with us while teaching how to handle
>> these IPT tools.
>>
>> Michel P. Valim
>> Skype me inmpvalim
>> MSN me inmpvalim at hotmail.com
>>

>> > Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 12:49:23 +0300
>> > From:info at pensoft.net
>> > To:jweckstein at fieldmuseum.org
>> > CC:mpvalim at hotmail.com;preprint at pensoft.net
>> > Subject: Re: BushBlitz GBIF data entry
>> >
>> > Dear Jason,
>> >
>> > Good to hear that. Today your final proofs will be posted, please
>> > confirm so that the paper to be published next week.
>> >
>> > It makes sense to upload the data beforehand and to publish it along
> [...]

Digitarium - Digitisation Centre of the Finnish Museum of Natural History and the University of Eastern Finland
Faculty of Science and Forestry, Joensuu Science Park
La"nsikatu 15 (P.O. Box 111)
FIN-80101 Joensuu
http://www.digitarium.fi/

Hannu Saarenmaa, Project Manager