[IPT] NOT production use versus GBIF registration & organisations in IPT

Herbario SANT sant.herbarium at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 21:50:44 CET 2011

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 10:48 PM, Tim Robertson <trobertson at gbif.org> wrote:

> As we are approaching the 2.0 General Availability release, RC3 allows
> users to configure the IPT to register against the GBIF live registry
> and register and publish data to the GBIF network.  On a new
> installation, after the data directory is selected, you may choose
> “production use”, which will ensure the IPT communicates with the LIVE
> GBIF registry.  Once selected, this cannot be altered so please be
> vigilant in your selection.  If your intention is to test and
> evaluate, please do not select production installation.

My intention is to test and evaluate. Sorry if this has an obvious
answer but just to be safe I prefer to ask before.

I am following these instructions here:
http://code.google.com/p/gbif-providertoolkit/wiki/IPT2ManualNotes#IPT_setup_II

I have chosen "NOT production use".
Beyond that point, the Quick Reference Guide says:

"Click on the button labeled 'Continue' to open the IPT Administration
page (...) Before adding data resources to the IPT, the administrator
must (...) set the GBIF registration options, and associate the IPT
with an organisation. The Organisations button is disabled by default
until the GBIF registration options have been set".

As I am just testing the software, my question is: in a "NOT
production" installation, can I safely test all the steps above?  Is
it possible to set the GBIF registration options and associate to an
organisation in "not production mode"? Is there a live GBIF registry
plus another "test GBIF registry" for "not production" IPT
installations?

In this case I suppose there is no problem in using a server
address/port which is not the same I will use when going into a
production server. Right?

Thanks in advance for your answers
David

--