[IPT] NOT production use versus GBIF registration & organisations in IPT

Tim Robertson (GBIF) trobertson at gbif.org
Sun Jan 23 23:36:37 CET 2011

Dear David

Thanks for your questions.  You'll find answers inline:

> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 10:48 PM, Tim Robertson <trobertson at gbif.org>
> wrote:
>
>> As we are approaching the 2.0 General Availability release, RC3
>> allows
>> users to configure the IPT to register against the GBIF live registry
>> and register and publish data to the GBIF network.  On a new
>> installation, after the data directory is selected, you may choose
>> “production use”, which will ensure the IPT communicates with the
>> LIVE
>> GBIF registry.  Once selected, this cannot be altered so please be
>> vigilant in your selection.  If your intention is to test and
>> evaluate, please do not select production installation.
>
> My intention is to test and evaluate. Sorry if this has an obvious
> answer but just to be safe I prefer to ask before.
>
> I am following these instructions here:
> http://code.google.com/p/gbif-providertoolkit/wiki/IPT2ManualNotes#IPT_setup_II
>
> I have chosen "NOT production use".
> Beyond that point, the Quick Reference Guide says:
>
> "Click on the button labeled 'Continue' to open the IPT Administration
> page (...) Before adding data resources to the IPT, the administrator
> must (...) set the GBIF registration options, and associate the IPT
> with an organisation. The Organisations button is disabled by default
> until the GBIF registration options have been set".
>
> As I am just testing the software, my question is: in a "NOT
> production" installation, can I safely test all the steps above?

Yes.  You may do whatever you wish to in testing when you have
selected that mode.

Please see the user manual which is nearing completion for further
information:
http://code.google.com/p/gbif-providertoolkit/wiki/IPT2ManualNotes

>  Is it possible to set the GBIF registration options and associate
> to an
> organisation in "not production mode"? Is there a live GBIF registry
> plus another "test GBIF registry" for "not production" IPT
> installations?

That is correct.  There are 2 registries, and by choosing not to run
in production mode, the IPT will operation against a test registry,
and therefore no "noise" will appear on the GBIF network due to test
registrations.

> In this case I suppose there is no problem in using a server
> address/port which is not the same I will use when going into a
> production server. Right?

That is correct, but please be aware that there is no way to take a
non production IPT into a Live production mode.  You will need to
reinstall and map the data again.
This was necessary because of the complexities in doing subsequent
synchronisations with respect to the datasets and organisations which
might differ between registries.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Tim