[IPT] digir/tapirlink useful features ... Howto in IPT?

Tim Robertson timrobertson100 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 04:52:22 CET 2011

Hi David,

In the IPT there is 1 directory (the data directory) that you can copy
to a new machine to migrate an installation.  The admin should also
back up this directory periodically for disaster recovery purposes.

You are correct in understanding the IPT 2.0, in that it does not
support ad-hoc querying.  There are many potential development
directions for the IPT, and during 2011 we will open up a wider
discussion amongst the IPT users to determine the best approach.
There are tools that do ad hoc querying so perhaps it is not the best
direction for the IPT, and the IPT would be better placed at
integrating quality control  routines and annotation consumption for
example.  It will not be possible to satisfy all the diverse
requirements on minimum hardware, simplicity, performance,
functionality and scale without some compromises somewhere - this is
where we need to do a good needs assessment as things develop.

Best wishes,
Tim