[Bid-community] Introducing mysef

Jean Ganglo ganglocj at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 18:49:45 CEST 2016

Dear members of the BID community,

I am Jean Cossi GANGLO from Benin (West Africa). I am Professor of forestry
(silviculture, forest dynamics and management) at the University of
Abomey-Calavi in Benin. I joined GBIF as GBIF Benin node manager in 2009.
Since then I put in place my team and defined consensual objectives we have
to achieve:

1) Publish biodiversity data on GBIF and GBIF Benin sites to increase
knowledge on biodiversity of the country

2) Build sound capacities in data mobilization and data uses

3) Use data in order to derive research products to raise awareness of
decision and policy makers mainly in demonstrating the value chain: Data→
Knowledge→ Applications to contribute to solve priority problems of
biodiversity conservation and sustainable uses of the country

4) Contribute to overcome the great challenges of lack of well capacitated
staff in biodiversity informatics in Benin and in Africa and insufficient
data about Africa.

With regards to those objectives and our efforts in achieving them, GBIF
Benin is actually leading two BID projects:

The first one is at national level. It is titled “Capacity building and
biodiversity data mobilization to address health and food security
priorities in Benin (West Africa)”. Through this project, we will mobilize
data on renowned medicinal plants to heal malaria as well as on
agroforestry species. We will use the data to achieve their distribution
maps and find out the impact of climate change on them so as to contribute
to their conservation and sustainable uses. Communications will be derived
from our results to inform decisions on the targeted species.

The second project is at regional level and concerns 8 countries (Guinea,
Senegal, Côte-d’Ivoire, Niger, Mali, Madagascar, DRC, and Benin). It is
titled “Capacity building and biodiversity data mobilization for
conservation, sustainable use, and decision making in Africa and
Madagascar”. Through this project, we will mobilize data on threatened
plant species as well as on invasive alien species. We will use the data to
achieve their distribution maps and find out the threats to species and how
to contribute to their conservation. As for invasive alien species, the
project intends to contribute to their monitoring and eradication.
Communications and outreach will also be derived from our results to inform
decisions on those species.

I can share my expertise with you in putting in place efficient GBIF node,
successful data mobilization and also data uses.

My best regards to all of you,

Yours sincerely

--
Jean C. GANGLO
Professor of Forestry and Plant sociology.
E-mail: ganglocj at gmail.com
Tel: 00229 66 36 37 70 / 00229 94 57 89 15
Skype: ganglocossi