[API-users] Scientific names questions

Scott Chamberlain myrmecocystus at gmail.com
Wed May 11 23:22:43 CEST 2016

HI all,

Not sure where is best to ask this... so here goes. Let me know if there's
a better place.

The following are examples some users have highlighted for me as leading to
confusion when searching for taxa.

1. Macrozamia platyrachis (http://www.gbif.org/species/4928834) vs.
Macrozamia platyrhachis (http://www.gbif.org/species/2683551)

Here, the two spellings (with/without h) are accepted, and exact matches.
The sci. authority seems to differ with F. M. Bailey vs. F.M.Bailey. The
first is from GRIN taxonomy and the second from COL.

Anyway, for users e.g., of the R client, this is a bit confusing. I had
thought the backbone taxonomy would only have one master taxon key and name
for each real taxon, but here it seems like there's two?

2. Cycas circinalis (http://www.gbif.org/species/2683264 ) vs. Cycas
circinnalis (http://www.gbif.org/species/3594916 )

Here, the two spellings (with 1 or 2 "n"'s) are accepted, and exact
matches. The sci. authorities here are exactly the same. The first is from
COL and the second from IPNI taxonomy.

3. Isolona perrieri (http://www.gbif.org/species/3648546 ) vs Isolona
perrierii (http://www.gbif.org/species/6308376 )

Here, the two spellings (with 1 or 2 "i"'s) are accepted, and exact
matches. The sci. authorities here are exactly the same. The first is from
TPL and the second from COL

--------

Should I advise users to when searching on the backbone taxonomy to limit
to COL to avoid any confusion about names?

Best,
Scott Chamberlain