[API-users] Scientific names questions

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Wed May 11 23:34:20 CEST 2016

Hi Scott,

I’m sure that someone with more direct knowledge of the GBIF taxonomy backbone will answer more specifically.  But in general, essentially all large taxonomic databases have these sorts of duplicate records due to spelling variations, etc.  Most such databases began by harvesting lists of (messy) text-string names from various sources, with the early emphasis being on quantity rather than quality.  In recent years, the emphasis has shifted towards improving quality, and to greater or lesser degrees, most large databases and aggregators have made tremendous progress in reconciling and correcting these sorts of issues.  However, these kind of lexical variants (i.e., two slightly different spellings being mistakenly represented as separate names) continue to exist, and probably will continue for quite some time (especially in large taxonomic aggregators, such as GIBIF).  The Global Names Architecture has current NSF funding (PI: Dima Mozzherin) to develop tools to help reconcile these sorts of lexical variants, and we have another NSF grant pending that will flesh those cleaned/reconciled text-string names out into metadata-rich names and name-usages… so there is some additional hope of accelerated clean-up in the next few years.  But until then, I’m afraid these kinds of duplicates will continued to be discovered and addressed on a case-by-case basis.

Not sure if that helps…. But if you do restrict to a single source (like CoL), you’re less likely to encounter these kinds of duplicates, and the presumption is that linking to either one will eventually get straightened out.

Aloha,

Rich

Richard L. Pyle, PhD
Database Coordinator for Natural Sciences | Associate Zoologist in Ichthyology | Dive Safety Officer
Department of Natural Sciences, Bishop Museum, 1525 Bernice St., Honolulu, HI 96817
Ph: (808)848-4115, Fax: (808)847-8252 email: deepreef at bishopmuseum.org