[API-users] numDescendants in species/?name response

Markus Döring mdoering at gbif.org
Wed Jul 29 22:53:59 CEST 2015

Hi James,

I am not sure if I understand the problem.
If you search the GBIF backbone for Lembus you get 2 records. One synonym without descendants and one accepted taxon:
http://api.gbif.org/v1/species/?name=Lembus&datasetKey=d7dddbf4-2cf0-4f39-9b2a-bb099caae36c <http://api.gbif.org/v1/species/?name=Lembus&datasetKey=d7dddbf4-2cf0-4f39-9b2a-bb099caae36c>

That looks correct to me and the synonym also does not return any children correctly:
http://api.gbif.org/v1/species/2386427/children <http://api.gbif.org/v1/species/2386427/children>

We did change the underlying checklistbank database today which introduces considerable new data as all data in there has been freshly crawled from scratch.
Datasets that have been offline, e.g. NZOR, are therefore currently still missing.

We also had some issue indexing wikipedia and Index Fungorum, so those 2 are also not yet in but I hope to get those indexed over the weekend latest.
Lacking wikipedia unfortunately means there are much less vernacular names, descriptions and images available also for the GBIF backbone.

The backbone itself has not changed at all.

Markus