[API-users] numDescendants in species/?name response

Nozomi James Ytow nozomi at biol.tsukuba.ac.jp
Wed Jul 29 16:15:22 CEST 2015

Hi,

is there any modification made in numDescendants in species/?name response?

For example,
http://api.gbif.org/v1/species/?name=Lembus
returened one record with 2 descendants (I remember it as
http://api.gbif.org/v1/species/102321492 ) and two records with
16 descendatns arournt 2015-07-29 04:00 UTC (ish) but now
only one record of GBIF Backborn Taxonomy with 16 descendants
and others have no descendants.

http://api.gbif.org/v1/species/?name=Lembus%20infusionum
was shered lower name in there three records.
http://api.gbif.org/v1/species/102321493 is one of Lembus infusionum
which has parentKey 102321492.  The parent key is the record had
two descandants.

The modified implementation requires to try /species/{int}/children
even if numDescendants is zero, because there may be descendants.
I prefer to the previous implementation to navigate classifications.

James