[IPT] how to do when you have more than one sampling method for the same plant plot

Rui Figueira ruifigueira at isa.ulisboa.pt
Mon Jul 20 16:34:16 UTC 2020

Dear all,

One of our publishers is preparing an event based dataset with plant
surveys, where two measurements were taken at each location: a Braun
Blanquet Scale value and % of coverage.

The normal option to create this dataset would be to make two event
records for each plot, one for each survey method. This allows to
preserve all original data, but will result in two occurrences for the
same species at the same plot.

The other option would be to report only one of the survey methods,
avoiding occurrence duplication, but not preserving data for the other
method.

Would anyone have a suggestion how to prepare the dataset, so that it
keeps values for both methods and does not create duplication of
occurrences?

Or the duplication is not an issue, and we should publish data for both
methods?

Thanks,

Rui

--

Rui Figueira
Coordenador do Nó Português do GBIF
ruifigueira at isa.ulisboa.pt
Instituto Superior de Agronomia
Herbário
Tapada da Ajuda, 1349-017 Lisboa, Portugal
Tel. +351 213653165 | Fax. +351 213653195
http://www.gbif.pt
http://www.isa.ulisboa.pt