[IPT] use of extensions; how can duplication of rows be avoided?

Tim Robertson [GBIF] trobertson at gbif.org
Wed Oct 23 14:00:30 CEST 2013

Hi Gabi,

In *typical* use there would be 1 SQL statement for the core, and then one SQL statement per extension.
There are occasions that you would break this though.

If I were setting up an IPT on MySQL I would use views in the database, and manage those with the database database schema itself.  So something along the lines of:

  CREATE VIEW view_ipt_occurrence
  AS SELECT id AS id, id AS occurrenceID, name AS scientificName … FROM specimen;

  CREATE VIEW view_ipt_image AS SELECT s.id AS id, s.id AS
  SELECT occurrenceID, i.image AS imageURL … FROM image i JOIN specimen s ON i.specimen_id=s.id;

Then in the IPT on the occurrence mapping I would simply use this knowing it will auto map since the views use DwC terms as column aliases:
  SELECT * FROM view_ipt_occurrence;
  SELECT * FROM view_ipt_image;

Does that help at all?

If you send your DB schema, we will be happy to help out with SQL mappings.

Thanks,
Tim