[IPT] How to configure IPT with Apache mod_proxy?

janno jõgeva janno at ut.ee
Mon May 2 14:37:11 CEST 2011

Hello!

I managed to find on line in the httpd.conf that is no needed.
ProxyPassReverse /ipt/ http://localhost:8080/
As I already have ProxyPreserveHost On.

But that didn't solve my problem.
I did change the ipt.baseURL as you said. But that gets me to a point
where some of the page contents are loaded and some are not. (I do
have a login field and text fields but no graphical elements are
loaded (logos etc.) ).

I'll try to give my situation:
I have a web server running Apache2 behind a firewall that has port 80
open and Apache2 using it. I would like to get IPT up an running so I
decided to use jetty to run the app on port 8080 and mod_proxy to
direct requests from Apache to IPT. I start IPT with:
/usr/bin/java $JAVA_OPTS -classpath
/opt/ipt/webapp/WEB-INF/classes/:/opt/ipt/webapp/WEB-INF/lib/*
org.gbif.ipt.Server 8080

It is given as an argument to a function that makes it a service. With
appropriate PID output dirs etc.

So it starts. I navigate to the site in a machine on the address. Log
in to the system. Everything seams fine.
I can see my unpublished dataset users etc.
But when I for example want to change the role of a user it tries to
send its request to address sitename.ee/ not to sitename.ee/ipt/ as
usually.

The problem only seams to occur when IPT is trying to access
...admin/config.do or ...admin/user.do.
When I inject ipt/admin/config.do instead of admin/config.do
to the save button action(in the loaded page) then the changes are
actually saved to the IPT user configuration - in this case the role
of the user changes.

As I understand ipt.baseURL should be publicly accessible and should
point to the installation in my server. As requests have to pass
firewall I should point them to  sitename.ee/ipt not to sitename.ee as
there is content served by Apache not by IPT.

I am quite new to mod_proxy as well, but as it seams be the way to go
I started using it.

Probably I am just going the wrong way.

Best,
Janno Jõgeva