[IPT] IPT post from mukul.kapur at gmail.com requires approval

Tim Robertson (GBIF) trobertson at gbif.org
Sat Jan 8 22:31:05 CET 2011

Dear Mukul,

Thank you also from me for your interest in the IPT, and your offer to
contribute.

The IPT has recently undergone a huge refactoring effort recently,
with the latest IPT 2.0 in the trunk/gbif-ipt directory.  It is this
codebase that we are all working towards.

We have just announced 2.0RC3 and are shortly going to release version
2.0GA, but following this there is likely to be some exciting new
developments on the IPT during 2011.  I think it could be a great time
to be involved;  The IPT development team is widespread (Colombia, US,
Denmark, Germany and I am in Kiribati currently and there are active
testers in Sweden, France, Argentina, Italy, Australia, Korea, Taiwan,
Madagascar, India etc etc) - we anticipate worldwide installations.

Like Markus says, and similar to the way Apache runs open source
projects, the best way to get into the project would be to indicate
that you are working on an issue, and then submit a patch (eclipse
right click, create patch) which will be verified by a developer
before being applied to the truck.  I would suggest doing a couple of
very small ones, before tackling something more sizable - there are
things like setting eclipse to use the correct coding conventions (http://rs.gbif.org
) that need to be respected, and with appropriate JUnit coverage where
applicable before code will be accepted.  After a few contributions,
you would then become a committer.  There are some issues in there to
build some good unit test coverages - this could be a good place to
learn the code, which will make a great addition to the continued
stability of the software, especially as the development team expands.

Best wishes and thank you for your interest
Tim