[IPT] GBIF Case 1773: UTF8

Burke Chih-Jen Ko (GBIF) bko at gbif.org
Fri Aug 12 16:30:56 CEST 2011

Hi Mickaël,

I can see from your script that the database is created using UTF-8, but it could be the connection characterset that interprets the UTF-8 information as iso-8859-1. Force opening a UTF-8 text file with Närke using latin1 charset indeed render the text as Närke.

In the [mysqld] section of /etc/my.cnf, you can instruct the server to start with preferred characterset and collation:

character_set_server=utf8
default-character-set=utf8
character_set_client=utf8
collation_server=utf8_general_ci
skip-character-set-client-handshake

The last line force the connection charset as the one specified for the server.

So I suggest some steps:
1. Add lines above to your my.cnf
2. Restart the mysql,
3. First see if things still looks the same on TapirLink.
4. Try export the same sample script you gave us earlier, if the närke shows as it should be, then it should be fine on IPT.

Let me know if this setting works.

But if this change breaks TapirLink and others, you'll need to decide to configure others all or, see if Tim's suggestion works. (jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/specimen_collections?autoReconnect=true&useUnicode=true&characterEncoding=UTF8&characterSetResults=UTF8)

Cheers,

Burke