[IPT] How to register external usesr for locally installed IPT nodes

Tim Robertson (GBIF) trobertson at gbif.org
Tue Apr 26 16:18:59 CEST 2011

Dear Lyubo,

I'll provide a little background before answering your question.

The IPT is an installable software tool that allows users to author
metadata, map databases or uploaded text files to the Darwin Core
standard, install extensions and vocabularies to allow for richer
content and ultimately register datasets for publication and sharing
through GBIF.
At the GBIF secretariat we run a demonstration installation for
evaluation purposes only, and no content ever goes onto the GBIF
network through that installation.  Periodically all content is
deleted.  IPT operators undertake the responsibility of running an
internet server which should be maintained - e.g. it should remain
online and be addressable.  We have added, and with Pensoft are in the
process of testing, the rich text format (RTF) output format to the
IPT so that any dataset descriptive data (e.g. metadata) can be
downloaded from any IPT (version 2.0.2+) and then go through the
journal peer review process.

Therefore users have the following options, and I hope this answers
your question:

a) Install and run an  IPT, registering it with GBIF
b) Use an account on the http://ipt.pensoft.net installation (seems
offline now though?)
c) Approach an existing IPT operator and seek to host data through them

Users will not use the GBIF installation other than for demonstration
purposes as we do not host content at the secretariat.

This of course is following the 2.0.2 release, which is still being
tested.

I hope this helps.  Best wishes,
Tim