[IPT] Open call for testing of the IPT 2.0RC1

Tim Robertson (GBIF) trobertson at gbif.org
Mon Nov 29 17:46:41 CET 2010

Dear all,

The IPT development team are pleased to invite you to participate in
the testing of the re-engineered and simplified IPT.

The revised IPT is the result of a re-engineering effort of the 1.0
version of the IPT, specifically to:
   - Reduce the server requirements significantly
   - Increase the data import performance by removing the embedded
database
   - Remove the dependency on heavy libraries and tools such as
Geoserver
   - Remove all data interfaces that are not necessary for data
publication through GBIF
   - Improve the robustness of the tool

The result is an IPT that:
   - is less than 12MB
   - starts in only a few seconds
   - supports fast import (1 million records in 15 seconds or so)
   - includes an expanded metadata profile
   - supports the importing of DwC Archives
   - allows multiple organisation support (an IPT may be installed by
an institution, but the resource associated with a different
institution)

We would like to thank those early testers who have helped us, over
the last 5 weeks, identify and address some 81 issues and enhancements
already (http://code.google.com/p/gbif-providertoolkit/issues/list?can=1&q=Milestone%3DRelease2.0RC1+&colspec=ID+Type+Status+Priority+Milestone+Owner+Summary&cells=tiles
).

All reported defects have been addressed, and therefore we have
indicated this is a version that is a candidate for being a formal
release and therefore labelled IPT 2.0RC1.

Issues are actively being tracked, monitored and will be prioritised
and addressed, and I ask that you use this utility to record any
issues that you come across:
http://code.google.com/p/gbif-providertoolkit/issues/list

The user manual and engineering documentation drafting are under way
and expected to be finished by the end of 2010 prior to the general
availability (IPT 2.0GA) release.  The IPT 2.0GA release is targeted
by the end of the 2010 but will only be made available following a
successful community test phase.

The IPT 2.0RC1 for this test can be downloaded: http://gbif-providertoolkit.googlecode.com/files/ipt-2.0RC1.war
The IPT 2.0RC1 is restricted for use to the GBIF development registry
at this stage and therefore can not be used for publication onto the
GBIF network during this testing phase.

Please find attached some basic guideline information for testers in
the absence of the user manual.

Thank you once again to all IPT contributers.

Best wishes,
Tim