[IPT] star schema functionality request

Tim Robertson (GBIF) trobertson at gbif.org
Sun May 10 11:16:03 CEST 2009

Hi Eli,

A star schema for data transfer is indeed limited in scope, but offers a
lot more than is possible with a flat file, and supports many use cases we
face in the GBIF network related to serving occurrence oriented and
taxon/species oriented data.  Therefore I don't foresee the IPT handling a
more relational model than the star in the *near* future due to the
complexity of designing the user interfaces and output models to support
this.  Are you thinking of developing this functionality yourself using
the IPT as a base platform?  We can branch the source head if you get a
patch for this.

If you are looking to serve very normalised data, perhaps asking your
providers to support a standard exchange format is probably the best
option, which I believe EOL does now.  You might consider evaluating if
TapirLink supports a more normalised format, to provide a tool that
providers can install and map to your output model.

Best wishes,

Tim

> Markus, Tim,
> It is a concern for EOL usage of the IPT that the star schema is missing
> the functionality to add extension to another extension and not just
> always to the main DWC. The denormalized approach of doing actually this
> doesn't look good and providers will not like it.
>
> Another concern is the size of the recordset if we will (denormalize)
> repeat the main data object many times to accommodate many references,
> agents, audience type associated with it.
>
> We will continue testing IPT's usage for EOL while trying to minimize the
> overhead of the denormalized approach. But it would really be helpful to
> add the functionality making the star schema more relational.
>
> Thanks.
> Eli

Tim Robertson
Systems Architect
Global Biodiversity Information Facility Secretariat  (GBIF)
Universitetsparken 15, 2100 Copenhagen Ø, Denmark
http://www.gbif.org
trobertson at gbif.org
Phone: +45 35 32 14 87 (Office)
Fax: +45 35 32 14 80