[IPT] requesting a feature for posting elements written in regional language

Burke Chih-Jen Ko burkeker at gate.sinica.edu.tw
Fri Jun 12 22:48:05 CEST 2009

Hi Tim,

Following what I briefly mentioned in the e-Biosphere, here I describe
it to hopefully make it more comprehensive.

Now we TaiBIF are doing data cleaning against our specimen data, one
of the tasks is to separate information written in different
languages. Take 'Locality' as an example, if an attribute is 'Taipei 台
北', we move '台北' to a separate column named 'LocalityInChinese'.
(Considering easiness for data providers, we decided to use
'InChinese' instead of 'zh_TW'.)

Then you see several descriptive elements in Darwin Core could have
their counterparts in Chinese, like Collector, Identifier, and many
others. To be used by regional data providers, IPT will be even better
if it can handle multiple languages. Actually we had thought about
just keep all languages in one place, but I am afraid that it might
create problems when information is exchanging worldwide.

As I am aware that language issues could lead to further discussions
of the standard, I, therefore, propose a neutral mechanism that users
can add their own elements, so that once an element is created, it can
automatically map to the column with the same name, when a SQL source
is connected or a csv sheet is uploaded. There should also be
statistics based on the new element, or users can decide they don't
want it calculated. In this case, I would add 'LocalityInChinese' as
the new element.

Hope this make sense.

Cheers,

Chih-Jen(Burke)