[IPT] IPT beta available

Markus Döring (GBIF) mdoering at gbif.org
Wed Feb 4 16:22:03 CET 2009

+++ Welcome to IPT 1.0 beta +++

GBIF is happy to announce the first public beta version of the GBIF
Integrated Publishing Toolkit. We have been working for quite a while
on this software and finally reached a stage where we want to engage
early users to get feedback. The IPT allows to host and share species
occurrence or taxonomic checklist datasets based on an extendible
darwin core as well as pure metadata descriptions for biological
resources, whether they have been digitised or not. You can find
further information on the project homepage: http://code.google.com/p/gbif-providertoolkit/

We are providing a public live demo installation at GBIF for anyone to
try out. To gain access to most of the functionality you will have to
register as a new user and ask me or Tim to assign you additional
"manager" rights.
http://ipt.gbif.org

His voice may not be that of Morgan Freeman, but Tim has done a great
job recording some screen casts to get you started. Before getting
angry about the still missing user manual (which is being worked on
and will be ready for the final release) please watch this movie first:
ftp://ftp.gbif.org/projects/ipt/tutorial/beta/9minuteDemo.mov

If you prefer to install the IPT yourself you can find basic
instructions on the project site and you should also watch Tim playing
with Tomcat:
http://code.google.com/p/gbif-providertoolkit/wiki/Installation
ftp://ftp.gbif.org/projects/ipt/tutorial/beta/installIPT.mov

We'd like to thank any beta testers already. Your testing will help us
improve the software and provide new ideas that we will try to
incorporate in future releases. Please consider the following
guidelines when testing:
- if you run into any bugs, report them as issues in google code,
which is linked at the bottom of every IPT page.
- if you have any questions whatsoever, please post them on this
mailing list instead of contacting us individually. This helps others
facing the same problems.

For the proper user manual and other documentation like screen casts
we are always seeking help too. There is even some funding available
for people willing to spend more time. In any of those case please get
in touch with our training officer Alberto Gonzalez-Talavan: atalavan at gbif.org

Thanks for your interest.
I can't wait to get flooded with bug reports ;)

Markus

--
Markus Döring
Bioinformatics Software Engineer