[Bid-community] Introduction - The Mauritius Herbarium

Mergen Patricia patricia.mergen at africamuseum.be
Mon Nov 27 13:52:17 CET 2017

Dear Claudia

Welcome to the group.

With my best wishes

Patricia Mergen
From: Bid-community [bid-community-bounces at lists.gbif.org] on behalf of Mauritius Herbarium [mauritiusherbarium at gmail.com]
Sent: 27 November 2017 13:38
To: bid-community at lists.gbif.org
Subject: [Bid-community] Introduction - The Mauritius Herbarium

Hello everyone,

I am Claudia Baider, Brazilian-born working in Mauritius for over 15 years.

I am currently in charge of The Mauritius Herbarium. My main research interest is in the conservation of biodiversity in tropical terrestrial systems focusing on the Amazon, the Atlantic forests and, more recently, the Mascarenes (located within the Madagascar and SW Indian Ocean Biodiversity hotspot) where I investigate the impact of invasive alien species on its biodiversity. I am also interested in restoration ecology and taxonomy of Mascarene flowering plants.

Over the last decade, The Mauritius Herbarium has databased and barcoded most of its collections. Our aim now is to apply international standards for making data available on our website, and in a regional and global portals. We are also working with a local NGO that is is spearheading a project on organic farming that wishes to make the results of this project available local and internationally. We received a BID-AFRICA 2017 grant (BID-AF2017-0316-SMA) for the project 'Getting the plants to all: dissemination of information from the collection of The Mauritius Herbarium" (https://www.gbif.org/project/aRCxBBF1BYU2C0us62ea4/getting-the-plants-to-all-dissemination-of-information-from-the-collection-of-the-mauritius-herbarium).

With my best wishes, Claudia

Dr Claudia Baider, The Mauritius Herbarium, RE Vaughan Building (MSIRI compound), Agricultural Services, Ministry of Agro-Industry and Food Security. Reduit, Postal code 80835, Mauritius. Phone +(230) 4541061. https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=dpFq8_8AAAAJ&hl=en