[API-users] API for batch calling GBIF id -> checklist ID

Markus Döring mdoering at gbif.org
Wed Feb 22 12:14:55 CET 2017

Hi Yan,

the way you describe is the current way to go.
IPNI unfortunately has 2 problems you should be aware of. The dataset in GBIF is a somewhat outdated and has not been updated since 2009. We are working with Kew to publish a new version for a long time, but things progress very slowly.

The other issue is that IPNI really is 3 datasets combined all of which can cover the same name. You should therefore be prepared to find multiple ids for the same name - even on their current website. See http://www.ipni.org/about_the_index.html

For example Avena sativa gives 3 hits from IK, GCI & APNI: http://www.ipni.org/ipni/simplePlantNameSearch.do?find_wholeName=Avena+sativa&output_format=normal&query_type=by_query&back_page=query_ipni.html

In the future we would like to add a scientificNameID property to the GBIF backbone taxa and populate that with IPNI, IF or ZooBank ids. But that is not available so far.

Best,
Markus