[API-users] Why is the key of organismID a URI?

Markus Döring mdoering at gbif.org
Tue Nov 17 10:49:58 CET 2015

Hi Peter,
yes, this is kind of a bug. We have not yet upgraded our occurrence store to the latest Darwin Core terms.
Thats why a simple term coming as just “organismID” instead of a full URI gets assigned the unknown.org <http://unknown.org/> namespace.
http://api.gbif.org/v1/occurrence/1078327928/verbatim <http://api.gbif.org/v1/occurrence/1078327928/verbatim>

We have an open issue here: http://dev.gbif.org/issues/browse/POR-2598 <http://dev.gbif.org/issues/browse/POR-2598>

Looking at the actual archive that we indexed I can see the older term individualID is being used, not organismID:
    <field index="15" term="http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/individualID"/>

Thats strange, as we should have understodd that perfectly fine and it is not found in the verbatim anywhere.
Looks like we need to do some digging.

Markus