[API-users] Limits on the occurrence search API

Tim Robertson trobertson at gbif.org
Thu Feb 26 14:09:34 CET 2015

Hi Nico

> - Shouldn't the secretariat update the documentation to say the limit is 200.000 instead of 1.000.000 ?

Yes

> - Is there a plan to incrementally remove/lessen this limitation ? 200K is quite a limit compared to the 500M+ total records available.

Not until the Lucene committers fix their deep paging issues.  This is a common problem in Lucene and you’ll find similar limitations on the likes of Google search results paging etc.
Paging over more than 200k records is not all that sensible in general though, when a far more efficient mechanism exists with the download API.

Cheers,
Tim