[API-users] Best practice to read details info using the API

Martin Wendt gbif at wwwendt.de
Sun Dec 20 18:04:53 CET 2015

Hello all,

I like to display an overview page for a distinct species like this:
http://www.gbif.org/species/4827561 <http://www.gbif.org/species/4827561>

Is there a common request that collects these information with one roundtrip, or do I have to issue the specialized calls separately
http://api.gbif.org/v1/species/4827561/
http://api.gbif.org/v1/species/4827561/speciesProfiles
http://api.gbif.org/v1/species/4827561/synonyms
…

A similar question arises, if i want to construct a breadcrumb for a given key, so I need the parent list *and* the target item.
Is there a shortcut or are these two calls required (like i do now):

http://api.gbif.org/v1/species/4827561/parents
http://api.gbif.org/v1/species/4827561/

I just want to make sure that I don’t generate more requests than necessary.
So if there are any policies like max. request rate, or a recommended additional request header to identify the user agent, please let me know.

Thanks
Martin