[API-users] Error 503 with Species Web Service

Markus Döring mdoering at gbif.org
Tue Jul 8 10:44:58 CEST 2014

Hi Shayne,
I am sorry you experienced this error. It appears to have happened during a short system outage we had recently.
The species URL you gave does work fine now.

This is a rather unusual thing and I hope you do not encounter this problem often. If it is a crucial piece of your system you could consider adding retries after failures or processing failed ids in a second run. If you hit a 503 error it is very likely that our entire API is down though (some seconds to a few minutes), so putting your script to sleep for a short time would be good.

Hope it all works fine for you now.
Please let us know is you still encounter problems!

best,
Markus

--
Markus Döring