[API-users] How to request complete taxonomic classification data for a taxon using GBIF web services?

Markus Döring mdoering at gbif.org
Mon Aug 18 12:06:33 CEST 2014

Hi Geoff,

GBIF keeps track of taxonomies of various quality and extant as "checklist datasets" in our Checklist Bank:
http://www.gbif.org/dataset/search?type=CHECKLIST

Every checklist is free to use any number of ranks it wants to use. NCBI for example has a "depth" of about 34 taxa or more I vaguely recall, whereas some checklists do not have any classification at all.
The GBIF backbone taxonomy which we use to organize our occurrence records uses the higher taxon terms found in darwin core as ranks plus some infraspecific ones:

  kingdom
  phylum
  class
  order
  family
  genus
  subgenus
  species

To see the different classifications for the same name in various checklists we also provide a service that takes the GBIF taxon id:
http://api.gbif.org/v1/species/2396049/related

Please note that a taxon from this response might have more ranks defined in its classification as given in this flat view. Only the darwin core terms are used for literal name strings, but you might be able to retrieve a more complete classification by following up the parent relations using the parentKey property. For any given taxon key a full classification is shown in our portal here resolving all parentKeys up to the root.

For example the NCBI version of Ecsenius bicolor with 34 levels:
http://www.gbif.org/species/106963049/classification

best,
Markus