[ALA-Portal] [ala-portal] Purpose of generic repositories

Vicente J. Ruiz Jurado vjrj at ourproject.org
Fri Oct 8 17:58:53 UTC 2021

Dear Alex:

First of all, welcome to our community Alex. You'll receive in short an
invitation to slack where we discuss these topics.

Meanwhile, I'll try to respond you.

Many LA portals use directory the ala generated artifacts
(ala-collectory, ala-hub, ala-bie, and so on). If you don't need to
customized grails code or similar, I recommend to follow this option. In
Spain we are currently using these repos/artifacts.

Using these approach you can also customize your portal via a custom
branding (html/css/js).

Some LA portals use some customizations for the collectory, and hubs,
and use some custom fork of the generic-collectory and/or other modules.

We did this in the past, but preferred to come back to the ala artifacts
and to generalize our code customizations and send back to ALA code base.

Both options use the collectory-plugin that is where the main collectory
code is and is shared (similar occurs with biocache-hubs, bie-plugin,...).

In summary, to start I recommend the first option without any doubt.

Also I recommend to have a look to this new toolkit:
https://github.com/living-atlases/la-toolkit
that tries to facilitate all these tasks while using the ala-install &
ansible and gives initial setup recommendations. You can test a
non-functional demo here:
https://toolkit-demo.l-a.site/
or a presentation with screenscats here:
https://datos.gbif.es/others/la-toolkit-gbif-presentation-2021.html

Please don't hesitate to ask us any other similar question (ideally via
slack).

BR,

Vicente J. Ruiz Jurado
Technical Coordinator - Living Atlases Community