[Ala-portal] Populating portal for a country

David.Martin at csiro.au David.Martin at csiro.au
Wed Jun 10 17:24:09 CEST 2015

Thanks Nicolas.

1) My understanding is the GBIF API has been bombarded recently and they have now put in place a limit of the number of concurrent downloads to 3. The collectory currently attempts 10 download at a time - hence our problem.
We’ll try and push out an update to fix this very soon.

2) ALA initially wrote this bootstrapping tool to demonstrate the system (the system isn’t much good without data:) ). I think it has now reached some level of maturity and we should remove that text.

3) The metadata that comes across is pretty limited I agree, and we’d welcome some contributions to improving the level of metadata that is retrieved and then pulled into the collectory for display.
The metadata (retrieved from the EML documents in the DwC-A files) is currently updated each time a dataset is reloaded from GBIF. We are using the UUIDs that GBIF has for datasets to avoid creating duplicate resources.
Hence you can reload datasets without issues.

Hope this helps,

Dave Martin
ALA