[Ala-portal] Populating portal for a country

Nicolas Noé n.noe at biodiversity.be
Wed Jun 10 14:59:41 CEST 2015

Hi all,

I'm trying to set-up an experimental instance of ALA for Belgium. The
idea is to present all data published by our belgian institutions, in
order to give those institutations / collections / datasets more visibility.

What's the recommended way to load this data (everything at GBIF
published by Belgian institutions). I used the "Add all GBIF resource
for a country" from the Collectory admin interface, but

1) I encountered some errors. All datasets detected correctly, but only
10 are loaded - for the rest I get the message "Failed. Please check
your authentication credentials are valid". The authentication
credentials are indeed correct, since I only entered once (so, also for
the working dataset). When looking at my downloads on the GBIF website,
I can see no track those "failed" datasets. Can I get debugging
information ? Should I fill a bug report ? In the ala-collectory
repository ? Or some other ?

2) Also, the /collectory/manage/gbifLoadCountry pages states that "This
is a simple method of bootstrapping an installation with data provided
by GBIF web services. This is not intended for long-term production
use.". So maybe I should use another method to load all the data for my
country.

3) How are the (dataset) metadata populated when using this method ? It
seems the basic metadata is there, but not much more. Should we do it by
hand ? Should we write a tool to do it ? How about updates?

Thanks a lot!