[Ala-portal] ala-install

Tim Robertson trobertson at gbif.org
Wed Apr 29 09:44:41 CEST 2015

Hi Armand,

Certainly vagrant is not needed, but the build environment for the project is all geared around Ansible for consistency.

If you bring up an Ubuntu images on vmware you can run Ansible against it to configure it - you just need to provide an inventory file that references your own instances.  You can also customise for your own environment and have an instance for the backend, and another for the front end etc by changing the roles in the inventory file in Ansible.  That is effectively what we will do in the EC2 machines next week as well.

We don’t prepare prebuilt boxes, but you are quite correct that it could be done - they will have a pretty limited audience though.  If someone wanted to contribute by preparing some boxes on a daily cron to always have the latest released code, that would be a welcome addition.

Cheers,
Tim