[IPT] IPT: bringing you up to date

Kyle Braak kbraak at gbif.org
Fri Dec 8 19:57:52 CET 2017

Hi IPT users,

This being my last day as IPT product manager (and last day at the GBIF Secretariat), I just wanted to take this opportunity to say goodbye and share some important points to bring you more up to date about the IPT:

  *   A new and even more secure version (2.3.5) of the IPT is available for download[1]. Updating to this version will provide added protection against potential cross-site scripting (XSS) attacks. As usual, update instructions can be found in the IPT Release Notes[2].
  *   A growing number of trusted IPT data hosting centres[3] are popping up around the world. These meet a strict set of criteria and provide reliable and free data hosting support. If you struggle to maintain your IPT installation, using a data hosting centre could save you significant time and money.
  *   In July, a fantastic demo video showing how to use the IPT was added to the IPT library[4]. This video is featured as part of the short and concise IPT how-to publish guide[5], designed to get new publishers up to speed as fast as possible.
  *   The IPT has been translated into Persian by a single devoted and hard-working volunteer. This will make the IPT available in eight languages, but it still needs more reviewing before it can be released[6]. If you are fluent in Persian, please consider joining the IPT translator team. It's easy to join following these instructions[7].
  *   For those interested in tracking the IPT's growth story, you can check out the newly added statistics page in IPT wiki[8].

I move on now in my career in search of new and exciting products to help develop. It has been an honor to serve the IPT community and truly amazing for me to watch IPT usage explode these last years.

If you have any additional questions regarding the state of the IPT please don't hesitate to write to the GBIF Helpdesk[9]. Rest assured, you the IPT community remains well supported by the extremely talented and dedicated GBIF Secretariat.

Wishing you all happy data publishing!

Best regards,

Kyle Braak

IPT Product Manager