[IPT] Darwin Core Star Schema

Quentin Groom quentin.groom at plantentuinmeise.be
Wed Nov 11 09:20:13 CET 2015

I'm rather confused how the Darwin Core Star Schema is meant to work for
survey data.

Darwin Core can have one of two Core files, taxon or occurrence. The most
appropriate for a survey would seem to be occurrence. So I imagine that in
the star schema you could also have a related event file detailing the date
and location of each survey and a non-core taxon file detailing the taxa
that are observed.

However, this does not seem to be possible. The DWC-A validator (
http://tools.gbif.org/dwca-validator/), assumes only on core id in the core
file so you can't link an occurrence both to a taxon and to an event. This
is also true in the Darwin Core Archive Assistant (
http://tools.gbif.org/dwca-assistant/). The solution seems to be to put all
the information from the taxon core file into the occurrence file, but keep
the separate event file linked with the core occurrence id.

Is this correct? It seems rather counter intuitive.

Regards
Quentin

Dr. Quentin Groom
(Botany and Information Technology)