[IPT] IPT v2.2 - release candidate

Paul J. Morris mole at morris.net
Tue Mar 3 19:13:07 CET 2015

On Tue, 3 Mar 2015 18:55:35 +0100
Tim Robertson <trobertson at gbif.org> wrote:
> Thanks Paul and Tuco for the feedback - useful food for thought and I
> note that the DataCite metadata kernel also uses a list for rights,
> not a single statement.  Allowing a collection of rights might be the
> most applicable solution here.

That still leaves uncertainty, does the list CC-BY, CC-BY-NC mean that
the data set in it's entirety is licensed under both CC-BY and
CC-BY-NC, or that there are parts under one license and parts under the
other.  At the data set level, collection of rights statements could
easily be interpreted differently than a statement that rights are
stated at the record level.

> A point of clarity though - an image extension allows you to provide
> metadata about an image that exists on a URL, but the image itself is
> not part of the DwC-A / dataset.  One field of the image metadata is
> the license applicable for the image but that should not be
> transferred to the dataset being put out by the IPT.  Or are we not
> in agreement on that?  E.g. the DwC-A can be available under CC0 but
> contain links to online images that could be behind some far more
> restrictive license.

This does seem fairly clear in an AudobonCore or other media extension
where metadata about the rights associated with external media objects
are being asserted in the metadata in association with the retrieval
locations of those media objects are being asserted.   It seems less
clear if dwc:associatedMedia is present in a flat Occurrence record, is
an assertion about the rights made in the dataset level metadata to be
taken to extend to the digital object at the other end of a link found
in dwc:associatedMedia?

-Paul