[IPT] Happy new year, two questions

DESMET, Peter Peter.DESMET at INBO.BE
Fri Jan 3 11:26:19 CET 2014

Hi Michel,

See my email off list.

The best field to provide the history of identifications is http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/index.htm#previousIdentifications. This includes the first scientific name given to the specimen = verbatim scientific name and any other identifications, expect the most recent one. A more advanced way to represent this information (including the most recent identification) is this extension: http://rs.gbif.org/extension/dwc/identification.xml

Not sure how to add non-dwc fields in IPT (you can if you create your Darwin Core archive by hand), but 'habitat' might be a good field for water body type, if it is not used yet for a verbatim habitat description. You can also use dynamicProperties, e.g. "waterBodyType:river"

Cheers,

Peter
Van: ipt-bounces at lists.gbif.org [ipt-bounces at lists.gbif.org] namens Michel Kapel [mkirbsn at gmail.com]
Verzonden: donderdag 2 januari 2014 13:57
Aan: IPT Liste
Onderwerp: [IPT] Happy new year, two questions

Happy new year everybody.

I have two questions here.

1. I am searching for DarwinCore element "verbatim_scientific_name" is
this available somewhere?
2. I have a need for a non DarwinCore field namely "WaterBodyType"
with values such as (RIVER|LAKE|ESTUARY|SEA|...) I have looked but it
does not seem to exist in DarwinCore. WaterBody does exist but this
refers to the name of the water body such as "Nile river" or "Ganges
river" or just "Amazon" . I want something that just specifies the
type. Would it be possible to define such a field and add it to the
mapping interface?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Michel K.