[IPT] "Species Distribution" extension for Occurrence Core in IPT

"Markus Döring (GBIF)" mdoering at gbif.org
Tue Nov 27 17:03:15 CET 2012

Hi all,
I agree with all that Peter said and it doesn´t seem appropriate to use the species distribution extension for occurrences. Its the distribution of a species, not of a single occurrence.

Ideally I would also think sharing the threat or Cites status of a species should be done separately in a checklist instead of pushing it all into flat occurrences. But then again Peter pointed out rightly that we do that already for some terms. I would rather remove those taxonomic terms from the occurrence core instead of adding new ones, but Im happily convinced of the opposite :)

Can someone explain the use case a bit more to understand the needs?

best,
Markus

PS: And yes, it sounds like a tdwg content discussion, but then again dwca extensions could be a bit too implementation specific, dont know.