[IPT] Fwd: "Species Distribution" extension for Occurrence Core in IPT

Tim Robertson [GBIF] trobertson at gbif.org
Thu Nov 22 09:41:13 CET 2012

Dear IPT community,

Please see the request below for using the species distribution extension [1] with occurrence core [2].  This request comes from Colombia, who are setting up an IPT network in the country.
I don't see any issue with this, but wanted to put this through the correct forum (this list) for any comments.

Does anyone have any concerns they would like to raise?

Please note, that extensions are considered immutable in concept, although we allow for minor editorial changes.  Therefore this request would warrant a version increment of the distribution extension; reflected in the namespace.  IPTs would therefore see 2 species distribution extensions (the second having the new version).  The current version cannot be removed as datasets already exist using it, but rather would be marked as "Deprecated" in the description so new installations and updates would show this.

Thanks all,
Tim

[1] http://rs.gbif.org/extension/gbif/1.0/distribution.xml
[2] http://rs.gbif.org/core/dwc_occurrence.xml