[IPT] GBIF Integrated Publishing Toolkit

Tim Robertson (GBIF) trobertson at gbif.org
Mon Sep 20 16:33:59 CEST 2010

Dear Jonas,

Thank you for your questions.  Answers given inline:

> Dear Tim
>
> Thanks for the information, and the great work on the IPT. I think
> it will be a good move, just seen from my perspective, to
> concentrate on the core functionality for better performance.

Thank you for this feedback - this is important to help steer the IPT
process.

> After having done some promotion and held some training and
> installation sessions of the IPT under the GBIF - NordGen evaluation
> project I see that the general interest in the genebank
> documentation community is quite strong and the installation and
> configuration is very user-friendly. We just this week had a
> workshop in Estonia introducing the IPT and the GBIF network to
> people from genebanks in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania and the
> response was very good.
>
> To be able to make the most out of these training sessions, there
> will be a few more during the remainder of this year, I have a
> couple of questions about the coming version:
>
> if the GUI for mapping imported dataset fields to the DwC / DwC
> extension fields will be significantly different?

It will be slightly different, but familiar enough for people who
understand the older version to pick it up easily.  We received
feedback during the IPT experts training event last year, and have
implemented their recommendations.  In short, the terms are simply
provided in a long list.  I attach a screenshot (dwc-mapping.png)
showing the mapping page for occurrences.

Please remember that we will initiate a testing phase in October, and
there will be the ability to comment on this and have it revised if
there are problems.

> if the mapping through SQL / direct database connection will work
> significantly different?

No changes here.  You create the SQL statement and then do a mapping
the same, regardless of whether it is a SQL source or text file.

> if it will be possible to host multiple resources registered under
> different GBIF nodes on the same IPT webapp or if all resources on
> one IPT webapp must be under the same GBIF node?

The revised version will handle this:

The IPT instance is registered with the Institution/Organisation/Node
to which it is associated.
The ADMIN user can then associate further Institution/Organisation/
Nodes from which data MANAGERs can choose when registering a data
RESOURCE.
Therefore the following could be handled:

- ADMIN in Node1 installs the IPT
- ADMIN enables Node2 and Institution3 as available entities for
MANAGERs to use
- ADMIN creates accounts for MANAGERs
- MANAGERs can log in and create resources
- when a MANAGER creates a resource they see a choice of Node1, Node2
or Institution3 to associate the resource with

In addition to this, the ADMIN can provide an alias to each
Organisation/Node/Institution, so that MANAGERs see something
familiar.  For example the GBIF Registry might have "The Botanical
holdings of the Harvard Herbarium Museum" but internally the ADMIN and
MANAGERs all call this "HUH".  The ADMIN will be able to declare this
and MANAGERs will simply see "HUH" in the choice of Institutions to
associate the resource with.

I hope this helps, and thanks again for the feedback,
Tim