[IPT] IPT v2 Snapshot frequency

Nicolas Noé niconoe at ulb.ac.be
Fri Oct 15 11:48:53 CEST 2010

  Hi,

With the current move to the v2 of the IPT and the very fast development
of the last few weeks, I think it could be great to provide development
snapshots (similar to the one Tim uploaded a few days ago) on a regular
and very frequent basis.

For example, I've reported a bug 2 days ago that is supposed to be
fixed, and I'd like to re-test this and investigate deeper the IPT (hat
bug make me stuck at the beginning), so I could follow the development
day after day and provide immediate feedback to the development team. I
think this transparency and rapid feedback mechanism is important if we
want a very fast development rate and at the same time keep a good
stability. It could also lead to a better communication between IPT
developers and end users (for example to keep them aware of which
features/bugs should be on the top-priority list).

I see 3 ways to make these builds for "faster feedback" possible :

1) The GBIF manually creates "ipt-snapshot.war" on a regular basis (i.e.
weekly)
2) Putting an automatic mechanism to create these builds, the frequence
could so be increased (nightly builds).
3) Update (and detail) the documentation of the build process on the
wiki (available for v1). The  java build process/ build tools and the
quirks that can be encountered at that step can be, to say the least,
quite intimidating for someone who isn't a Java developer.

What do you think of this ?

Thanks, Nicolas.