[IPT] OAI-PMH on IPT

Hannu Saarenmaa hannu.saarenmaa at helsinki.fi
Thu Apr 15 15:05:46 CEST 2010

Markus, Éamonn

Thank you for these clarifications.  I had probably misunderstood from
some earlier presentations that this interface would have already been
bundled in IPT.

RSS feed is certainly useful the way you describe.

However, we have to serve metadata about the results of our digitisation
efforts beyond GBIF to other networks in the cultural heritage
programmes.  There I would need Dublin Core served via OAI-PMH.  I
believe for you developers it would be easy to add this functionality in
the IPT.

Regards, Hannu

Markus Döring (GBIF) wrote:
> Hannu,
> we've decided to use simple rss feeds in favor over the OAI-PMH protocol in the IPT.
> the RSS feed (atom) is pagable and allows you to iterate over all resources in chronological order.
>
> For example:
> http://ipt.gbif.org/atom.xml
>
> and if there would have been more resources than 25 the second page would be:
> http://ipt.gbif.org/atom.xml?page=2
>
> The rss feed give you the basic metadata directly including the geographic bounding box, a link to the full EML and a link to the resource page on the IPT as well as the resource homepage when existing.
> I just see that there is no link to the full dataset (dwc archive) yet. I will add that for the next release so the data can immediately be harvested from there.
>
> I hope this satisfies your needs - its perfect for indexing I believe.
>

> Markus
>

> On Apr 15, 2010, at 14:19, Éamonn Ó Tuama (GBIF) wrote:
>

>> Hi Hannu,
>>
>> I'm not sure I understand correctly but if you are asking whether the IPT
>> has an OAI-PMH service built in - it does not. The IPT simply stores
>> metadata on the server. You would have to implement your own OAI-PMH access
>> service.
>> Some tools that may be of use are provided here:
>> http://www.openarchives.org/pmh/tools/tools.php
>>
>> Éamonn

Hannu Saarenmaa
Head of Unit for Biodiversity Informatics
(yli-intendentti, lajitietotiimi)
Finnish Museum of Natural History
P.O. Box 17 (P.Rautatiekatu 13)
FIN-00014 University of Helsinki