[IPT] Adding an extension for germplasm to IPT

Dag Terje Filip Endresen dag.endresen at nordgen.org
Fri May 15 15:07:29 CEST 2009

Hi Markus and Tim,

Thanks a lot for your help! I followed your instructions and successfully added my DRAFT version of a DarwinCore extension for germplasm to the IPT. I have listed a brief summary of each of the steps I followed below.

If you are interested, you may visit the IPT from NordGen with a DEMO dataset mapped to terms from this DRAFT Darwin Core extension for germplasm at:
  http://atlas.nordgen.org/ipt/occResource.html?resource_id=77

1. Schema
    I built a suggestion to a DRAFT Darwin Core extansion for germplasm
    http://code.google.com/p/darwincore/source/browse/trunk/xsd/profiles/germplasm/dwc_germplasm.xsd
    http://wwwdev.ngb.se/portal/rs/dwc_germplasm.xsd

2. XML definition for IPT
    Listing the terms to use from the suggested DRAFT DarwinCore extension
    http://wwwdev.ngb.se/portal/rs/ipt_germplasm.xml

3. Add this XML definition to a copy of extensions.json
    Starting with "http://gbrds.gbif.org/registry/ipt/extensions.json"
    Add text {"title":"Germplasm","url":"http://wwwdev.ngb.se/portal/rs/ipt_germplasm.xml","id":9}
    Saved as: http://wwwdev.ngb.se/portal/rs/ipt/extensions.json

4. Modify ipt.properties
    PATH_TO_TOMCAT_WEBAPPS/ipt/WEB-INF/classes/ipt.properties
    Line 7: "registryUrl=http://gbrds.gbif.org/registry" modified to
    "registryUrl=http://wwwdev.ngb.se/portal/rs"

5. Restart Tomcat (reload ipt)
    The new ipt.properties settings does not seem to be loaded without restart of tomcat

6. Add/load the new extension to IPT
    Login with admin permissions
    http://your_server_name/ipt/admin/extensions.html
    Click "Check for all available extensions"
    Select the name of the new extension
    Select "install" and "Done"

7. Mapping of terms to your data
    Select the new extension under "Add New Mapping"
    Click "Add" button to the right
    Select and map terms

I selected the "publish" button and hope that this will not cause this dataset to be registered at the GBIF registry...? Without selecting the "publish" button the dataset is not listed from the menu item "explore". I was missing the option to publish a dataset under this "explore", but not not to register with the GBIF registry...? Should there not be one more step to this procedure?

Cheers
Dag Terje

PS. I have noticed that the right side context menu is very sensitive to missing data (Navigate Taxonomy, Navigate Geography). If some of the higher taxonomic levels is missing I get an error message instead of the context menu. For example I did not have phylum for the genebank dataset and the error message on "Navigate Taxonomy" untill I added data for this term. Similar I did not have continent causing the "Navigate Geography" context menu to start at country. When continent and/or country is missing, the "Navigate Geography" context menu creates a top node for the lowest level available - sometimes even the coordinate is displayed as the top node here. Would be cute if the IPT could default to "unknown continent", "unknown country"; "unknown phylum", ... or something similar.

PPS. NB! This DRAFT extension for germplasm is still under development and I am sure that I still duplicate some terms from DarwinCore or other extensions! I did not yet work much with the terms for trait observations on germplasm, but added most of the terms from the new proposed draft standard for these data for the European genebank community.

  _____