[IPT] Question sur l'IPT

"Markus Döring (GBIF)" mdoering at gbif.org
Tue Dec 8 11:09:39 CET 2009

Mélianie,
if you use the IPT as a hosted service and not in a local network there are several things to consider:

a) it is unlikely that your system admin will open the database ports to the internet. Therefore you will only be able to upload text files into the IPT which you will need to export from the original provider database.
The other option you have is to host a copy of the original database as it is in their original database system at GBIF france. This way the IPT can read locally from the DB. But it requires you to host a variety of systems and people to dump their entire database. I would think the ttext file approach is more likely - but maybe a mixed approach would work too.

b) in any case the IPT always reads in an entire dataset, even if only few records have changed. There are some technical and some usability reasons for this

c) the current IPT needs to be linked to a single organisation, so the resource metadata will always point to this single organisation. This is obviously not suited for hosting datasets from across the country. We plan to release a new version 1.1 at the end of march to address this, which is specifically targeted at an hosted environment.

Markus