[Hosted-Portals] Add a landing page to the name of the dropdown menu

Camila Andrea Plata Corredor cplata at humboldt.org.co
Fri Feb 26 16:59:33 UTC 2021

Thank you Morten for your reply,

I see you have thought about it in depth and your arguments are very
strong, a neet responsiveness is a must, especially when many people use
cell phones and tablets to look for these types of written content. Options
1 and 2 will work for us.

Best!

> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2021 09:42:19 +0000
> From: Morten Høfft <mhoefft at gbif.org>
> To: "Helpdesk, discussion and announcements for the GBIF hosted
>         portals" <hosted-portals at lists.gbif.org>
> Subject: Re: [Hosted-Portals] Add a landing page to the name of the
>         dropdown menu
> DBBPR09MB460351F05B2B3250140C63ACDF9F9 at DBBPR09MB4603.eurprd09.prod.outlook.com

> It isn't possible to do so. Most notably because it wouldn't work well on
> tablets.
>
> On tablets you wouldn't be able to trigger the dropdown but would instead
> follow the link.
> We could of course then try to differentiate between touching the arrow vs
> touching the text, but the click target area would be really small and make
> for a bad UI in my opinion.
>
> On laptops/desktop there is the opposite issue, where there is a fair
> chance no one will ever notice that the top level item is clickable. This
> isn't an issue if all you do on that page is a short intro with links to
> the subpages, but if you have more content then it is a shame that laptop
> users won't notice.
>
> It also put restraint on what we can do in the future if we decide to
> trigger dropdowns on click instead of the current hover. And it would make
> mobile navigation more convoluted if we decided to collapse menu items in
> the burger (those 3 lines) menu.
>
> I see these options
>
> Options 1
> Keep the top level link and remove the dropdown.
> The landing page would then link to the items previously in the dropdown
> (you could use a documentation<
> https://hp-base-theme.gbif-staging.org/layout/documentation> layout or
> compose a landing page using features<
> https://hp-base-theme.gbif-staging.org/layout/compose>)
>
> Option 2
> Create a dropdown with the content
>
>   *   MenuItem
>      *     Introduction (this would be the page you otherwise had attached
> to MenuItem)
>      *     subitem 1
>      *     subitem 2
>
> And finally we can of course reconsider if we should support it if there
> is a general interest in it.
>
> I will be happy to discuss workarounds for your particular task - just
> create an issue in your repo or write me an email.
>
> Best
> Morten

*Equipo
Coordinador
Sistema de Información sobre Biodiversidad de Colombia*