[GloBI] blog post "Models in Fashion"

Jorrit Poelen jhpoelen at xs4all.nl
Fri Aug 17 21:49:10 CEST 2018

Hey y'all -

I just posted a first pass at a blog post that gives some examples of
the many data formats used to capture species interactions.

First two paragraphs from
https://www.globalbioticinteractions.org/2018/08/16/models-in-fashion/ :

"GloBI adapts to whatever contributors decided to express their digital
data in and currently supports over 40+ flavors of species interaction
data formats. This makes GloBI both fashionable and unfashionable –
newer, hipper formats/models are supported as well as those that have
been around for a while. Being fashionable has the advantage of
appealing to the new hip kids in town. Supporting the older formats,
however, might actually be crucial to preserve valuable datasets from
previous generations.

In this post, I’ll give some examples of formats currently used to share
species interaction datasets. To help navigate through the various
approaches, examplar datasets are described that fit into the following
categories: single tabular text file, multi-tabular text files, json,
rdf/owl/json-ld, and Darwin Core Archives. And, I’ll end with sharing
some closing thoughts."

Curious to hear your thoughts!

thx,

-jorrit