[COL-Users] NamesIndex missing translations?

MANCINI Raffael Raffael.MANCINI at mnhn.lu
Thu Sep 14 12:20:40 UTC 2023

Dear list,

I'm using the very handy NamesIndex in order to translate between different taxonomic sources. In the case of CoL and iNaturalist, I found that only roughly half of the entries (from a recent export) have both the CoL ID and iNaturalist ID set. For the entries pertaining to the rank "species" the situation is particularly bad, only roughly 10% (4353 of 41109) of the entries do any real translation.

  1.  Why does the nidx export contain rows with either of the IDs empty at all?
  2.  Why are so many of the species in particular not correctly mapped? Is this due to missing authorship in the iNaturalist checklist coupled with a strict matching algorithm?

Best regards,

--

Raffael Mancini

IT administrator and developer

Service d'information digital sur le patrimoine naturel (SIDPNAT)

Musée National d'Histoire Naturelle Luxembourg

T: +352 247 66667 - https://mnhn.lu