[Bid-community] TOMORROW: DwC Hour 5: DwC Standards in Practice: Introduction to Sharing Data Using the GBIF IPT

Motz, Gary garymotz at indiana.edu
Mon Jun 12 17:09:40 CEST 2017

Hi all,

The iDigBio Data Management Interest Group is pleased to bring you the fifth installment of our DarwinCore (DwC) Hour webinar series.

TOMORROW’s webinar is almost here: DwC Standards in Practice: Introduction to Sharing Data Using the GBIF IPT. Go Here for Webinar Details and Meeting Link: https://www.idigbio.org/content/darwin-core-hour-dwc-standards-practice-introduction-gbif-ipt <https://www.idigbio.org/content/darwin-core-hour-dwc-standards-practice-introduction-gbif-ipt>

ABSTRACT. This webinar introduces the GBIF IPT, the most widely used tool to publish and share biodiversity data through the GBIF network. Demonstrating how to publish a species occurrence dataset, special emphasis will be given to how to properly map fields to DwC terms while complying with vocabularies and making sure to satisfy GBIF’s required and recommended terms. It will end with a brief look at the tool’s roadmap, with some essential information all IPT administrators need to be made aware of.

Please bring or submit questions for open discussions in each webinar: https://tinyurl.com/zja2muz <https://tinyurl.com/zja2muz>

When: Tuesday, June 13th, 10 AM EDT,  9AM CDT, 4 PM CEST
Where: https://idigbio.adobeconnect.com/room <https://idigbio.adobeconnect.com/room>

Presenters: Kyle Braak - IPT Product Manager for GBIF, Laura Russell - Program Officer for Participation and Engagement at GBIF, Carole Sinou - Research Officer in Biodiversity for Canadensys.
Moderators: Gary Motz, Erica Krimmel

EXTRAS:
Explore the Darwin Core Questions & Answers wiki! https://github.com/tdwg/dwc-qa/wiki <https://github.com/tdwg/dwc-qa/wiki> - where all DwC Hour materials can be found.
See which of your questions have been asked and answered so far https://github.com/tdwg/dwc-qa/issues <https://github.com/tdwg/dwc-qa/issues>
Submit your question / volunteer (yourself or someone) to do a webinar on your DwC topic: https://tinyurl.com/zja2muz <https://tinyurl.com/zja2muz>
Here's a list of terms for which DwC recommends use of a controlled vocabulary - note many are in the Location class. https://github.com/tdwg/dwc-qa/wiki/Controlled-Vocabularies <https://github.com/tdwg/dwc-qa/wiki/Controlled-Vocabularies>
See what's inside some of the DwC fields that suggest using a controlled vocabulary (data from GBIF, iDigBio, VertNet, and soon ALA): https://github.com/tdwg/dwc-qa/tree/master/data <https://github.com/tdwg/dwc-qa/tree/master/data>
Future DwC Hour webinars coming up feature discussions about Darwin Core locality terms and sharing georeferenced locality data, and aggregators sharing how they process data provided by the community.

See you soon!

Gary, et al. from the iDigBio Data Mgmt Interest Group and the Darwin Core Hour Team
(please kindly excuse cross-postings!)
Webinar series brought to you by the iDigBio Data Management Interest Group (DMI). We welcome input for this series from everyone worldwide. We plan to make this happen 1x month. We use Adobe Connect for our webinars. See https://www.idigbio.org/wiki/index.php/Web_Conferencing <https://www.idigbio.org/wiki/index.php/Web_Conferencing> for hints on best experience (hint: use headsets!)