[API-users] API change proposal: supporting ranges in occurrence eventDate

Adriaan van Os adriaan at adriaan.biz
Tue Apr 4 08:23:11 UTC 2023

Matthew Blissett via API-users wrote:

> We propose changing the eventDate field in the GBIF API to support ISO
> 8601-1 date ranges. A range will be returned where one was provided by
> the publisher, either directly as a range in the |eventDate| field, or
> through a combination of the |year|, |month|, |day|, |startDayOfYear|
> and |endDayOfYear| fields.

I welcome the change. I recall the discussion "Occurrence Inventories" of April 29-30, 2019,
reproduced below.

What will happen to existing data sets, where  January 01 at 00:00 is listed for unknown dates or
date ranges ?

Regards,

Adriaan van Os

------

<https://www.gbif.org/occurrence/charts?has_coordinate=true&has_geospatial_issue=false&taxon_key=5130682>

 > > shows a lot of occurrences in January. I tracked these down to Finish
 > > datasets with eventDate January 01 at 00:00 but for a valid year.

This is an unfortunate limitation of our current system.  We're working
on an improvement as part of a larger effort to update our occurrence
indexing, but for the moment month-only or year-only dates are indexed
as the first of the month/year.  We don't add an issue flag to these
dates, but even if we did, another limitation of the API is it's not
possible to exclude issues in the fast searches or charts.

We can't set an event date of e.g. 2016-00-00, as that's not a valid ISO
format date, but we can look at leaving the "month" and "day" fields empty.

Regards,

Matt