[API-users] species match > missing blanks in taxa authorities

Markus Döring mdoering at gbif.org
Mon Oct 24 08:47:00 UTC 2022

Hi Armand,
If you take taxa broadly yes a lot as we need to merge many taxonomies into a single one. This is too much to describe here in detail, an overview is here:
https://data-blog.gbif.org/post/gbif-backbone-taxonomy/

If it is on names only not so much. We try to prefer IPNI/ZooBank spellings.
We show the authority year always with a comma and try to remove all nomenclatural or taxonomic annotations like "s.l." "comb.nov." from the authorship.
If the primary source has no authorship or publication we try to augment that from secondary sources, which could also alter the meaning of the primary one.

Named hybrids should receive a space after the hybrid marker.
That is from the top of my head what is happening to names in the backbone, but likely I am have missed things.

Markus