[API-users] DWC with "extra" images

Matthew Cruz mcruz at umich.edu
Tue May 3 14:51:17 UTC 2022

Hi Matt,

Yes, I did mean "multimedia.txt" and not "metadata.txt". Sorry for the
confusion and thanks for seeing past it.

I am very happy to learn that extra records in the extension files (media
etc) are ignored and that there are no plans to change that. I was hoping
for this because of the way we package our DWC file. Our occurrence data
comes from our "Specify" database and pulled into the IPT server via a
connection. However our multimedia/images are pulled into our "Specify"
database via a feed from a separate image-server/database and then this
table of data is also read by the IPT server via a connection.

Under consideration is using this multimedia/image feed to populate a
temporary Symbiota portal within which the occurrence data can be
transcribed and entered. The occurrences will intentionally not be given a
GUID since Symbiota is the source DB and rather is being used as a tool to
prepare the data for import into our source DB which is "Specify".

Therefore I was being faced with a question of if we were to put extra
images in the "multimedia.txt" that do not have corresponding occurrence
IDs yet if that would cause incorrect processing by how GBIF handles the
DWC extraction. Therefore, learning that GBIF's algorithm to ignore extra
records in extension files that do not match with a GUID in the
"occurrence.txt" is great news!

Thanks,
Matthew