[API-users] /species/suggest - higherClassificationMap question

Szlamka József szlajozs at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 17:43:37 UTC 2022

Hi API gurus,

I assume, the search box functionality in the species page of gbif
homepage (e.g.: https://www.gbif.org/species/5298708) is based on
"suggest". There each result contains the scientific name and the full
taxonomic hierarchy e.g. "Iris pumila subsp. attica (Boiss. & Heldr.)
K.Richt. Subspecies  | Plantae > Tracheophyta > Liliopsida > Asparagales
 > Iridaceae > Iris > Iris pumila".

My question: how is the hierarchy implemented? Is it based on
"higherClassificationMap"? How?

When I play with the suggest api, the XMLHttpRequest responseText in raw
text format contains the taxonomic hierarchy correctly (i.e. the
physical order of the entries in "higherClassificationMap" is correct).
Unfortunately after JSON.parse the resulting javascript object does not
hold any information about the physical order of the key/value pairs.

Is there any smart way to overcome this, or shall I hardcode the
hierarchy manually?

Thanks in advance.

József Szlamka